Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Healthy Eating on the Go

In my last blog, I discussed how it is possible to get things done with a little finesse and planning.  I know at times life can get a bit overwhelming and it is easy to just throw good health out the window. Have no fear! With a little bit of forethought and some time saving tricks, you can eat healthy on the go! 

I have a lot on my plate this summer. (Pun intended)  The headache of finding a place for the kids to be while I work and take classes is hard enough.  Finding ways to keep healthy can be challenging at times to say the least.

I imagine you may have the same issues at hand when it comes to healthy eating and staying on schedule. 

With these tips, hopefully you can find a way to get work done and still find ways to stay healthy.

We've all been there.  You have 20 minutes to get to work from class.  The easiest thing seems to be to run to your local fast food joint and drop $5 on a greasy, fat and carb laden sandwich  and scarf it down like there's no tomorrow.  This seems like a good idea at that moment but your stomach and waistline pay for it later.  Guilt sets in and you wonder if it was even worth it.

A smart move would be to plan these times out in advance.  I realize even thinking about planning a meal seems daunting when you already have so much to do.  Have no fear! Here are a few quick and easy snacks anyone can make ahead in 5 minutes flat.

1. Almonds-Keep these in your car or in your bag for a great and wholesome snack on the go. Filled with good fats they keep you satiated.

2. Beef (or any other meat) Jerky- A high protein snack always easy to pack and needs no refrigeration.

3. Guacamole- Yes you may need to pack this in a small cooler, but it's totally worth it. Filled with good fats and lots of flavor, this can be a mini meal in itself   Look for the prepackaged, 100 calorie versions at the grocery store.

4. Wraps- Super simple to make.  Just grab a high fiber tortilla, add cheese, deli meat, veggies and wrap in a burrito shape. Quick and simple yet totally satisfying!

5. Fruit is another great option.  Already pre packaged and needs no fridge!

6. String cheese-Tasty and full of calcium.

These are just a few quick and easy snacks for the student on the go. I know it's not always easy to take care of ourselves when we are busy running around all day.  It is important to not only eat every 3-4 hours to maintain energy and brain power, but to also make sure the calories you consume come from healthy options.

Don't give in to the junk food temptation! With a little planning you can do it!  You're body and brain will thank you!

After all, swim suit season is just around the corner... (groan)

1 comment:

1. I love it!

I don't know if it is less hassle than a cooler, but I used to carry 3 avocados, a lime, a tomato, an onion, a garlic clove, salt, some cayenne, and some cilantro. Oh and a kitchen knife. Then at lunch I can make my own guacamole. Now that I've typed it all out it does seem more complicated than I remember.

Don't bring large knives to campus.

ReplyDelete